Vitamin C has always been known to have many uses for the body, including maintaining endurance and skin health. Vitamin C is known to be safe for consumption and easy to obtain. Both from food intake and also in supplements, as a useful supplement of nutritional intake.
Vitamin C or what is often called scorbutic acid is a type of nutrient that is soluble in water and is not produced by the body. Sources of vitamin C can be found in fresh fruits and vegetables, or if necessary from vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C is needed for development and maintain the functioning of organs. Vitamin C also plays an important role in maintaining immune function.
Important Reasons for Taking Vitamin C
Vitamin C has many benefits for body health and skin beauty, including:
- Increase endurance and help the recovery process. Various complaints such as coughs and colds can be prevented by fulfilling the need for vitamin C in the body, especially when fatigue or when going to strenuous activities. Vitamin C is also called good to be consumed to prevent dengue fever.
- As an antioxidant that helps protect body cells from damage caused by free radicals. Thus inhibiting the risk of premature aging, the course of cancer, and heart disease.
- Vitamin C for the skin plays a role in the production of collagen, which is a protein needed to help the wound healing process, prevent wrinkles, slow the aging process, is also able to maintain youthfulness and brighten the skin.
- Vitamin C increases the absorption of iron from food and helps the immune system work properly to protect the body from disease
- Some research results believe that vitamin C can help maintain healthy cartilage, bones and teeth. And also maintain a healthy heart and blood vessels, so they can prevent heart attacks and strokes. Vitamin C is also believed to prevent cataracts and bile diseases.
Take Vitamin C Appropriately
Vitamin C can be obtained by consuming various types of food such as fruits and vegetables. Natural sources of vitamin C besides oranges include kiwifruit, mango, papaya, pineapple, and vegetables such as broccoli, paprika and tomatoes. To complete it, you can take vitamin C supplements, with the right dosage according to doctor’s instructions or according to the rules of use listed on the product packaging. The recommended dose of vitamin C supplement is 75 to 90 mg. When experiencing infection and post surgery, the need for vitamin C will increase, so consumption of vitamin C will help the healing process.
Taking vitamin C at a dose of 500 mg per day is considered safe, and enough to maintain health.
Vitamin C with a Periodic Release System
When you want to consume vitamins in the form of supplements, there are choices of vitamin C supplements that have a system of periodic release (time release). With this system, the vitamin content will be absorbed by the body’s cells periodically through the bloodstream. Through this time release system, adequate body cells for vitamin C can take place throughout the day, up to around 12 hours. This time release is a system that helps the absorption of vitamin C which is safer for your stomach, and can reduce side effects that may be caused such as abdominal pain and bloating. With the release of vitamin C that occurs slowly, this time release system also helps ease the work of the kidneys, making it safer for the kidneys.
To keep your stomach healthy, you need to routinely live a healthy lifestyle, adjust your diet, and avoid stress and get enough rest. When taking vitamin C adjust to the doctor’s recommended dose. It is recommended to consume after eating to minimize the risk of stomach disorders due to taking vitamin C. Choosing vitamin C with a periodic release system, can be one way to help reduce this complaint. Consult further with your doctor about consuming vitamin C that is safe and appropriate for your condition, especially if you have a history of illness, or are pregnant or breastfeeding.